Recovering From a Heart Bypass Surgery
Undergoing a heart bypass surgery is definitely not a small deal and the whole experience can be quiet overwhelming for the patient. Surgery is usually the last resort of treatment when other non-invasive options fail to give the desired results. It is also pertinent to note that proper recovery and rehabilitation are as important as the surgery itself as these greatly determine the success rate of the heart bypass surgery or any other surgery, for that matter. Different people heal at a different pace and take their own time to recover and get back on their feet. Doctors specializing in heart failure treatment in Jaipur make sure that your recovery is smooth and your healing process is hassle-free.
If you have been recommended to undergo a heart bypass surgery, you can find some of the best heart surgeons like Dr. Samin K Sharma in Eternal Hospital which is listed among the top hospitals in India. Apart from heart bypass surgery, the hospital offers a wide gamut of other specialized cardiovascular procedures and is the most trusted name when it comes to TAVI heart valve replacement.
It is only your doctor who can estimate how long your convalescence period is going to last, however, this blog will give you a general idea about how much time it usually takes to recover after undergoing a heart bypass surgery. Doctors specializing in cardiac surgery in Jaipur suggest that in the majority of cases, it takes about six to eight weeks for almost 80% of the total healing to take place. This, of course, is a general number and does not necessarily apply to everyone.
· It is highly advisable that the patients take their time to get back into their routine and do not straight away jump into it. You should take things slowly and start with small tasks and even those small tasks should include plenty of breaks so that you do not stress yourself.
· You can return to light activities such as laundry, light cleaning, cooking, doing dishes, climbing stairs, etc. unless your doctor says otherwise.
· Avoid lifting and pulling heavy objects or indulging in activities that might put a strain on your heart and heart muscles.
· You should refrain from driving for a few weeks; however, it is considered to be safe to ride in a car.
· Healthy lifestyle modifications are also a must and play a pivotal role in your recovery. It is important to keep your weight under check and avoid a stagnant lifestyle.
· Healthy eating habits promote healthy metabolism which is very important for your heart. Avoid unhealthy fats and carbs and try to eat as healthy as possible. Don’t starve yourself as this too isn’t good for your heart health. Eat at regular intervals and limit your portions.
· Refrain from smoking as it is the greatest enemy of your heart. Smoking slows down the healing process and increases the risks of infection.
· Go for regular check-ups as this not only helps to negate the risks of complications but also helps the doctor to evaluate and assess the endurance of your heart so as to increase the day to day activities in accordance with your healing pace.
· Exercises and cardio can be resumed after 10 to 12 weeks provided your doctor gives you a green signal. You can even consult a specialist for a personalized exercise plan that is prepared, keeping your specific needs and medical history in mind.
Following these simple guidelines can help you to keep your heart in a healthy shape and alleviate the risks of unnecessary complications. If any activity is causing you pain, it is important that you stop doing it and inform your best doctor about the same instead of pushing yourself to do it.
Tags: TAVI heart valve replacement, Heart failure treatment, Cardiac surgery in Jaipur, Dr. Samin K Sharma, Eternal Hospital