Tracing The Growth Of Neurosurgery As A Major Medical Speciality
Neurological surgery or neurosurgery, as we commonly know it, is a branch of Neurosciences that is solely dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of a broad spectrum of neurological conditions using various cutting-edge surgical interventions. By surgical interventions we mean both conventional as well as minimally invasive techniques, both of which are offered at all the leading Neurosurgery Hospital in India.
To understand the topic better it is important to first throw light on what exactly is neurology. If we describe neurology in simple words, it is a specialised branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and management of the entire gamut of diseases and disorders related the nervous system, which consists of the brain, the spinal cord and the cerebrovascular system.
The history of neurosurgery can be traced back to the stone-age when procedures like trepanation were performed. Gradually various other surgical treatment were evolved that aimed at treating head and spine injuries, skull fractures, effusions and headaches.
One of the greatest and noteworthy achievements in the field was made in the late 19th and early 20th century with the use of electrodes for treating superficial tumours. The first successful brain tumour removal surgery was performed by Scottish Surgeon William Macewen in 1879. This was followed by more research and studies which led to further developments. Over the years, the field of Neurosurgery has seen tremendous changes and growth, all of which have greatly contributed to making it one of the major medical specialities offered all-round the world.
Some of the most common neurosurgical procedures
Let us now talk about some common neurosurgical procedures that are offered at the best Neurology hospital in Jaipur:
- Laminectomy- Spinal arthritis can sometimes result in the growth of bone spurs which can lead to excess pressure and strain on the spinal cord and associated nerves. Also known as Decompression Surgery, Laminectomy is a minimally invasive procedure which involves the removal of the vertebral bone (lamina), in order to make some space in the spinal canal to reduce pressure on the spinal cord and nerves.
- Craniectomy- It is a highly advanced surgical procedure that involves the removal of a part of the skull in patients who have suffered a traumatic brain injury. This is done to relieve pressure from certain areas in which the brain has swelled up tremendously so as to prevent it from being crushed. The procedure is offered in all the Best hospitals in Jaipur.
- Chiari Decompression- It involves the removal of a bone from the back of the skull to create more space for the brain. This helps to relieve unnecessary pressure and strain as well as various other symptoms.
- LumbarPuncture- It is a lower back surgery or lumbar region surgery that is performed to remove a small sample of lumbar fluid by inserting a needle in-between two lumbar bones. This fluid is then used for laboratory analysis. A lumbar puncture may also be done to determine the cerebrospinal fluid pressure, administer spinal drugs, anaesthetics and dyes for diagnostic purpose.
- Microdiscectomy- Also known as micro-decompression or micro-diskectomy, it is a minimally invasive procedure performed to reduce pain and relieve other symptoms in patients with a herniated lumbar disc.
- Spinalfusion- It is more like a welding procedure that aims at permanently fusing together two or more small bones of the vertebral column using metal plates, screws and rods, so as to treat spine deformities, spinal instability and herniated disks.
- Ventriculostomy- It is carried out as an emergency procedure to drain out excess cerebrospinal fluid with the help of a small tube and drainage bag.
Tags: Neurosurgery Hospital, Neurology Treatment, Hospital in Jaipur, Eternal Hospital