Electrophysiological services is an umbrella term used for various modalities that aim at diagnosing, assessing and treating electrical activities of the heart. Electrophysiology is concerned with the problems related to heart rhythm, such as arrhythmia.
Arrhythmia is a condition marked by irregularity in an otherwise normal heartbeat, i.e. the patient's heart either beats too fast or too slow. The former is referred to as tachycardia, and the latter is known as bradycardia. Arrhythmia is usually a result of the inability of the heart's electrical system to function efficiently.
This can also help to assess the risks of such problems in future, as well as aids in devising out a proper treatment plan for effective management.
Electrophysiological services offered at Eternal Hospital
- EP studies - Electrophysiological study, also referred to as invasive cardiac electrophysiology, is not a single test, but a series of tests that aim at assessing the electrical activity of the heart. These work by generating a detailed map depicting the movement of the heartbeats. EP study may be recommended to diagnose an arrhythmia, assess patients with the sudden loss of consciousness, assess patients who are highly susceptible to sudden cardiac death, to detect the area of abnormal heart rhythm in patients undergoing cardiac ablation.
- Radiofrequency ablation - Radiofrequency ablation, also referred to as fulguration, is a highly specialized procedure that uses a minimally invasive approach to destroy the heart tissues which are responsible for the irregularity in heartbeat. It is a low-risk procedure, usually recommended to patients who are not responding well to medication. The procedure involves the use of a catheter, which is introduced inside the patient's body via the arteries or intravenously.
- 3D mapping - It is a minimally invasive modality that helps to generate 3D maps of the heart. The procedure involves the use of a special catheter, which is introduced via the blood vessels. 3D mapping helps to precisely detect the area of the origin of abnormal heart rhythms, thereby making it easier to perform radiofrequency ablation.
- Pacemaker implantation - A pacemaker is a small, battery-operated device that helps to maintain a normal heart rate by generating electrical impulses. It consists of a pulse generator and leads, which serve as a passage for the electrical signals. Pacemakers are broadly classified into three different types - leadless, single and double. A pacemaker can help to treat both tachycardia and bradycardia.
- ICD, CRT, CRT-D Implantation - ICD stands for implantable cardioverter defibrillator, a small device that helps to restore regular heartbeat by generating an electric shock to stimulate the heart. CRT, on the other hand, stands for cardiac resynchronization therapy, which focuses on synchronising the heartbeats of the patient so as to improve cardiac function.
Why Eternal Hospital?
At Eternal Hospital, we have a highly qualified and dedicated team of experts who are always committed to providing the latest and most advanced medical care to all our patients. Being a trusted name in healthcare, we act compassionately while ensuring confidentiality to those who need it. We have set high standards in patient-centric premium care along with outstanding patient safety and exceptional maintenance in a timely manner. We adhere to the use of up to the minute innovations to offer state-of-the-art treatments to our patients with unparalleled results.