Pre-operational check is very important in order to ensure safety of the patients’ life. The doctors need to ensure the viability of all the equipment and tools that are to be used for the operation. Pre-operational checks help in identifying the present issues or issues that might occur in future. Accessing the condition of the patient before the surgery is very important. Ensuring the patient’s health helps the doctors to understand the needs and requirements of the patient. Safety in patient care is the top priority of any healthcare system that has direct implications for quality care.
Before the surgery there is a need for a pre-operational check which includes a lot of tests to see that the patient has a normal blood pressure, sugar level, hormones level etc. It is very important to have a normal report for such a test before the operation because doctors cannot perform the operation if the sugar level is high or blood pressure is not stable. Any such complication might cause the patient’s life in danger.
Pre-operation check up:
- The pre-operation check up is done a few days prior to the surgery. This gives the doctors an accurate idea of the present condition of the patient and if there is any medical problem then it can be addressed in time before the surgery.
- The doctors ask for the medical history of the patient to know about any prior health problem. This is important as the doctors cannot take any risk during the operation. For example, if there is a record of any stroke then the doctor will recommend some test to see the condition of the heart, to avoid any complication during the operation.
- It is important to discuss all the test reports with the doctor before the operation to exclude any problem afterwards. The doctors recommend meeting with an anesthesia preoperative nurse before the surgery to discuss the patient’s health and see if he or she is allergic to anesthesia or not.
Tests before the surgery:
Every surgeon irrespective of his specialty asks for a few tests before the surgery in order to avoid any complication during the surgery or after that. Some doctors might also ask several other tests based on the age of the patient, the type of surgery and according to the health related problems they have. Some of the common tests include:
- Complete blood count(CBC)
- Blood sugar test
- Chest X-ray to check the condition of lungs
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) to check the condition of heart
- Imaging tests such as MRI scan, CT scan or Ultrasound
- Colonoscopy to check the stomach and bowel condition.
- Lung function test
Advice before the surgery:
- Avoid smoking or drinking any alcoholic beverages
- Only take the prescribed medicine
- Have all your tests done with the reports handy.
- Maintain a peaceful mental condition
- Keep your medical insurance up to date
- Eat a light meal.
Why Eternal Hospital?
At Eternal Hospital, we have a highly qualified and dedicated team of Doctors who are always committed to providing the latest and most advanced medical care to all our patients. Being a trusted name in healthcare, we act compassionately while ensuring confidentiality to those who need it. We have set high standards in patient-centric premium care and outstanding patient safety, and exceptional maintenance in a timely manner. In addition, we adhere to the use of up-to-the-minute innovations to offer state-of-the-art treatments to our patients with unparalleled results.