Neonatal stands for new born babies. New born babies often struggle to adapt according to the outside environment. They usually require special care and support during the first few weeks after their birth. Some babies are born with prenatal cardiac disease. Sometimes the formation of the heart is not complete or there is an abnormality in the structure of the heart. In such conditions neonatal cardiac surgery becomes essential. Cardiac defects are mostly congenital and are present in one out of 500 births. Sometimes, the condition is so severe that immediate cardiac surgery is the only option left. The quality of equipment and technology used for neonatal cardiac surgery is always well taken care of.
Types of cardiac surgery:
There are various neonatal heart diseases that require instant treatment. There are many heart deformities and abnormalities that can be fatal if they are not treated instantly. Heart surgery can be divided into open-heart and close-heart surgery.
- Open- heart surgery: This surgical procedure requires opening the heart in a literal sense. The procedure requires cooling down the heart so that the heart-lung bypass machine can perform the function of the heart which is pumping the blood. The cardiologist then performs the surgical procedure with minimum incision and absolute precision.
- Closed-heart surgery: In this procedure, doctors make an incision in the chest but not in the heart. Closed heart surgeries deal with major blood vessels such as aorta, pulmonary artery, pulmonary veins etc. In this type of surgery, blood flow is increased in lungs, vascular ring division, patent ductus arteriosus ligation and pulmonary artery repair.
Type of heart defects:
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD): In this condition, there is a hole in the upper chamber or on either side of the left and right atrium. The blood gets mixed due to this condition that is why it is very dangerous.
- Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD): It is just opposite as ASD, in this there is a hole in either side of the ventricle.
- Complete Atrioventricular Canal Defect: It is a very serious congenital septal defect in which there is a hole in all the four chambers of the heart. This means the blood is mixed and there is no oxygenated blood that is ready for the body.
- Valve Defect: Valve defects are caused due to thickening or deformity in the valves.
- Patent ductus arteriosus(PDA): This is a very serious heart problem as there is a hole in the aorta.
- Hole in the Heart: It is a condition where the infant is born with a hole in the wall that separates the left and right side of the heart.
- Truncus arteriosus: In this, the heart has a deformity; that is it has only one major artery that carries purified oxygenated blood from the heart to all parts of the body instead of two.
Why Eternal Hospital?
At Eternal Hospital, we have a highly qualified and dedicated team of Pediatrics and Cardiologists who are always committed to providing the latest and most advanced medical care to all our patients. Being a trusted name in healthcare, we act compassionately while ensuring confidentiality to those who need it. We have set high standards in patient-centric premium care and outstanding patient safety, and exceptional maintenance in a timely manner. In addition, we adhere to the use of up-to-the-minute innovations to offer state-of-the-art treatments to our patients with unparalleled results.