Many activities can lead to soft-tissue damage of muscles, ligaments, and tendons which can cause pain, swelling, bruising, or damage. Hence, any problem or rupture in any of these three is called soft tissue injury. The most common types of soft tissue injuries are contusion, sprain, strain, stress injury, and tendonitis. However, chronic conditions like arthritis are also classified under soft tissue conditions, the most common problems in older adults.
Any disorder that affects the integrity and function of bones is termed Metabolic Bone Disease. Among the multiple causes of MBD, the most common are lameness, skeletal and spinal abnormalities. The most common metabolic bone disease is osteoporosis which causes a reduction in bone density due to an imbalance between the rate of bond formation and resorption.
Types of Soft Tissue Condition
- Contusion: Contusion is an injury in soft tissue produced by a fall resulting in pain, swelling, and discolouration because of internal bleeding into the tissue.
- Sprain: Partial tear of ligament caused by a twist is called a sprain which often affects the ankles, knees, or wrist. Treatment for this includes rest, ice massage, and elevation.
- Tendonitis: Inflammation of the tendon is called tendonitis, which usually occurs due to overuse injury in the affected area.
- Bursitis: The bursa is a fluid sac between bones, muscles and tendons to provide cushioning. Inflammation in the bursa is called bursitis caused by an overuse injury. It affects the shoulder, elbow, hip, ankle, hand foot and becomes chronic without treatment.
- Stress Fracture: A small crack in a bone is called a stress fracture, often caused by physical activity. Its treatment includes fracture elevation, ice and anti-inflammatory medicines.
- Strain: It occurs when a muscle or tendon gets injured due to overuse force or stretching. Its treatment includes rest ice compression and elevation. However, in severe cases, doctors may also recommend surgery to repair the damage.
What are the causes of Soft Tissue Injuries?
Injuries can happen anywhere and due to any reason. The causes of injuries are never specific. Common causes of soft tissue injuries are:
- Overuse: Performing repetitive motions during a workout or performing the same activity over time may cause ligaments, tendons, and bones to rupture.
- Slip or Fall: If the fall is severe, it can impact the tendons, muscles, and ligaments. Sometimes bones or tendons are not affected, but the muscles get bruised.
- Twist: Sometimes, a fall may twist the part of the body, causing an injury. Most commonly, sprains are caused by twists resulting in tearing the ligament completely.
- Force: A blunt force can cause a variety of soft tissue injuries as it can strain and sprain the parts of the body, developing bruises due to the impact of the muscles.
Treatment for Soft Tissue Injuries
If the condition is acute, the treatment involves rest, compression, elevation and anti-inflammatory medicines. Ice is most commonly used to reduce pain. In cases of bacterial infections or inflammation, antibiotic drugs are recommended. For severe injuries like fractures, plaster is performed on the bone to set it straight.
Why Eternal Hospital?
At eternal Hospital, we have a highly qualified and dedicated team of urologists who are always committed to providing the latest and most advanced medical care to all our patients. Being a trusted name in healthcare, we act compassionately while ensuring confidentiality to those who need it. We have set high standards in patient-centric premium care and outstanding patient safety, and exceptional maintenance in a timely manner. In addition, we adhere to the use of up-to-the-minute innovations to offer state-of-the-art treatments to our patients with unparalleled results.