Minimal access surgery is an umbrella term for a wide range of surgical procedures that use minimally invasive approaches to treat an ailment or condition. Minimal access surgery involves comparatively newer techniques that allow the doctors to carry out the most complex procedures with minimal complications. Cardiac surgery has evolved tremendously over the years, however, midline sternotomy and cardiopulmonary bypass are usually associated with high morbidity during the postoperative period. Such techniques, though effective, can be quite traumatic. Minimal access surgery is not associated with such traumas as it can be performed through small thoracotomy incisions on either side of the chest.
Types of minimally invasive surgery
Minimal access surgery can be used to perform both adults as well as paediatric cardiac procedures. Some of the common surgical procedures performed using a minimally invasive approach include:
- Mitral valve repair or replacement
- Tricuspid valve repair or replacement
- Aortic valve replacement
- Closure of atrial septal defect and patent foramen ovale
- Treatment of atrioventricular septal defect
- Maze procedure for treating atrial fibrillation
- Coronary artery bypass surgery (CABS)
- Saphenous vein harvest for CABS
Advantages of minimal access surgery
- Smaller thoracotomy incision
- Minimal pain
- Reduced risks of infection
- Shorter hospital stay and convalescence period
- Improved postoperative pulmonary function
- Better cosmetic results
- Enhanced quality of life
Why Eternal Hospital?
At Eternal Hospital, we have a highly qualified and dedicated team of cardiologists who are always committed to providing the latest and most advanced medical care to all our patients. Being a trusted name in healthcare, we act compassionately while ensuring confidentiality to those who need it. We have set high standards in patient-centric premium care along with outstanding patient safety and exceptional maintenance in a timely manner. We adhere to the use of up to the minute innovations to offer state-of-the-art treatments to our patients with unparalleled results.