Get a New Heart with Transplant Surgery
The treatment of the conditions of the heart depends on the severity of the disease. In case of heart failure, the only way out is heart transplantation. Heart transplantation is the procedure which is performed on the patients who are suffering from end stage heart failure or severe coronary artery disease. It is the only option when medical or other surgical options have failed. Every year, around 3500 heart transplant procedures are performed. After heart transplantation, your life increases by 15 years. It is considered as a life saving treatment which intends to improve the quality of life. One of the finest hospitals to get heart transplant surgery in Jaipur is Eternal.
Heart transplantation is an operation in which a failing and diseased heart is replaced with the help of a healthier and donor heart. There are different reasons for heart failure. Some of them are –
1. Cardiomypathy – it is the disease affecting the muscles of the heart. In this disease, your heart is unable to pump blood in normal manner.
2. Coronary Artery Disease – it is a disease which affects heart’s major blood vessels. It happens when arteries that supply blood to heart muscle become hardened and narrowed.
3. Heart valve diseases may involve narrowed valve (stenosis), leaking valve (regurgitation), or a valve with leaflets that are bulging back (prolapse).
4. Congenital Heart Defects – these conditions are something with which you are born with.
5. Failure of a heart transplant which has been imparted before.
6. Dangerous recurring abnormal heart rhythms which are not controlled by other treatments. They are also known as ventricular arrhythmias.
Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery (CABG)
CABG is a type of surgery which is done in case of obstructed coronary artery. It improves blood flow to the heart. CABG is used by the surgeons to treat people who are suffering from severe coronary heart diseases. As life expectancy is increased with this type of surgery, it is being considered by a large number of elderly people who are suffering from artery problem. It is the most common type of open heart surgery performed. It is also an option if you have blockages in the artery but can’t be treated with angioplasty. There are different diagnostic tests which help in determining if you are a suitable candidate for CABG. They are as follows –
1. Electrocardiogram – This is a test which is done to record the electrical activity of the heart. With the help of ECG, the source of the heart problem is located. It shows how fast our heart is beating and its rhythm.
2. Stress Test – stress test is used because some heart problems are easier to diagnose when heart is working hard and beating fast. This test may include nuclear heart scanning, echocardiography and MRI scanning of the heart.
3. Echocardiograpy – it is a test which uses sound waves to create a moving picture of the heart. It will tell you about the size and shape of the heart and how well your heart’s chambers are working.
4. Coronary Angiography – insides of the coronary arteries are visible with this test. A long, thin and flexible catheter is used which is put into a blood vessel in your arm, groin or neck.
In this procedure, anesthesia is administered for the surgery. An incision is made down the center of the chest and the ribcage is opened so that the surgeon can get to your heart. Medicines are given to stop the heart so that the surgeon can work on it. A heart-lung bypass machine keeps oxygen rich blood moving throughout the body. An artery is then taken from your chest or leg and prepared to be used as a graft in the surgery. After the grafting is done, blood flow to the heart is restored. The heart starts to beat on its own but in some cases, mild electric shocks are used.
Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery (MICS)
Minimally invasive cardiac surgery allows the surgeon to perform the surgery with the help of small incisions only three to four inches long using elongated instruments and scopes. They operate between the ribs and breastbone is not separated. This causes lesser pain and smaller scars. There is lower risk of infection and bleeding. Recovery time is quite swift and you can go home quickly.
Eternal Hospital is the leading hospital providing excellent heart transplantation procedures. Our team of experts is internationally recognized for their pioneering work in the field of heart transplant, TAVI, Minimally invasive cardiac surgery, coronary artery bypass surgery etc.
Tags: Heart transplant, coronary artery bypass surgery, tavi, minimally invasive cardiac surgery, heart transplantation, eternal hospital