Are there any complications after knee replacement surgery?
Knee-related problems are very common in old age. With age, the flexibility of the bone deteriorates and bones of the joints start to rub against each other which causes a lot of pain, swelling, inflammation, etc. This also damages the cartilage and the nearby tendons, ligaments, and muscles that surround the joint. In order to get relief from this pain, one requires knee joint surgery or knee arthroscopy which is also widely known as knee replacement surgery. Apart from old age, there are other reasons that cause knee-related issues that may require knee replacement surgery. One cannot say that knee replacement surgery is the only way that one can get relief from knee pain, in many cases the condition is not that severe and can be treated with the help of medications, physical therapy, ointments, heat therapy, etc In such cases is doctor advises the person to wear need cap in order to give support to the knee. The only cases in which medication, physical therapy, and other non-surgical treatment methods fail to work in those cases only require knee replacement surgery. This orthopedics uses artificial implants that are usually made up of metal, polymers, high-grade plastic, ceramics, or fiber; these implants are also known as prostheses.
When does a person require knee replacement surgery?
There are various conditions for which a person may require knee replacement surgery. Opting for knee replacement surgery is never the first option for any orthopaedic doctor. There are some cases in which non-surgical treatments fail to work and the condition of the patient is such that it keeps on deteriorating irrespective of any treatment and there is no other option apart from knee replacement surgery. Generally, the doctor uses non-surgical treatment methods to give relief from the pain but there are conditions such as Arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis in which the condition gets worse over time and knee replacement surgery can only make the joint functional and give relief from the pain.
Some of the conditions that require knee replacement surgery include:
● Osteoarthritis is a condition that usually occurs in older people. In this condition, the person feels a lot of wear and tear in the knee joint.
● Injury: Any kind of injury in the knee joint that causes this dislocation of the knee cap or damage in the knee joint also may require knee replacement surgery.
● Rheumatoid arthritis: It is an autoimmune disease that causes inflammation of the knee joint and restricts the movement of the knee. People suffering from rheumatoid arthritis also suffer from stiffness, soreness, and cartilage damage.
● Knee deformity of any kind
● Severe knee pain and stiffness
● Chronic swelling or inflammation of the knee.
Complications after knee surgery:
Knee replacement surgery is a very successful treatment for people suffering from knee pain but there are few cases in which people suffer from complications and risks after the knee replacement surgery some of these problems of knee replacement surgery include:
● Stiffness in the knee
● Clicking or clunking of the knee
● Wearing out of the implant
● Breaking of implant
● Nerve damage
● Blood clots in the large veins
● Loosening of the prosthesis
● Fracture during or after the surgery
Eternal Hospital is one of the best hospitals in Jaipur which is famous for its Orthopaedic department. The hospital is famous, especially for its joint replacement surgery in Jaipur and knee replacement surgery. If you have any kind of orthopedic-related query, contact Eternal Hospital for expert assistance, rehabilitation, and care.