Steps to follow post TAVI procedure
TAVI or transcatheter aortic valve replacement is basically a surgical procedure which is used to treat or replace a faulty valve. It is a minimally invasive procedure where an expert cardiologist uses a new valve and inserts it without removing the damaged valve. Individuals who usually suffer from calcified valves or aortic stenosis or have comorbid conditions which makes open heart surgery very risky usually benefit from TAVI or transcatheter aortic valve replacement procedure.
Procedure of Tavi
Before beginning the Tavi procedure an expert anesthesiologist usually provides general anesthesia so that the patient falls asleep and does not feel any pain during the procedure.
After that a catheter which is basically a hollow tube that has a balloon at it at its one end or tip is inserted into the artery either from the collarbone or groin area.
Then the catheter is inserted into the heart and positioned at the location of the damaged valve.
After that the balloon is gently inflated, which helps in making the space for the new valve which is placed in the position of the old or damaged valve.
Then the new valve takes its place with the help of the balloon and after that the balloon is deflated and the catheter is removed safely.
The surgeon then closes all the incisions and keeps the patient under observation for a few days. After the patient is stable then the doctor discharges the patient with an instruction manual.
After Tavi procedure:
People who suffer from aortic stenosis usually require valve replacement treatment in order to resume their normal heart function. After the Tavi procedure the new biological tissue valve takes his place and the heart resumes its function. But it is necessary to follow all the instructions given by the doctor and Healthcare provider that usually includes medicines, painkillers, specific diet, instructions about do's and don'ts of the activities that can be done and how to take care of the wound. Also the patient is required to visit the doctors for follow up so that the doctor can check the progress and efficiency of the procedure.
- After the observation the doctor allows the patient to go home but with a certain sets of instruction in the form of a manual; some of these might include:
- Take medication as directed by the doctor which usually includes blood thinners and painkillers which are required to be taken regularly and as directed.
- It is necessary to take care of the wound as it might cause infection. Initially the incision can be itchy, sore, bruised and it takes time to heal therefore it is all the more necessary to take care of the wound. The doctor also advises to avoid any powder lotion or ointment near or on the incision area as it might cause infection. Further, if you notice any kind of redness, discharge, bleeding or excessive pain, in the incision area then you must immediately contact the Tavi expert in Jaipur.
- The health provider also asks the patient to avoid strenuous activities for a certain amount of time which includes no heavy lifting as it might put pressure on the incision that could be fatal.
- Also a specific diet is prepared so that it can help in the recovery process and helps in maintaining a good heart health.
Eternal Hospital is one of the top cardiac hospitals in Jaipur which is famous for its cardiac treatment. Our Cardiac department consists of expert cardiac surgeons specializing in different areas of cardiac surgeries and treatment. If you are looking for the best valve replacement surgery in Jaipur then contact Eternal Hospital for expert assistance and care.