Are your kidneys as healthy as you think they are?
Kidney disease refers to any condition that can interfere with the normal functioning of our kidneys. These can range from mild infections to severe dysfunction and even life-threatening malignancies. When any such condition affects our kidneys, our body tries to warn us about the same through various symptoms. Early detection of these can help in the timely diagnosis and treatment, making it possible to avoid serious complications. Unfortunately, a lot of people tend to overlook or ignore the symptoms, as a result of which, the disease gets enough time to progress and damage your kidneys. In this blog, we have listed some of the most common symptoms that may suggest that something is wrong with your kidneys, with the help of the experts specializing in kidney transplant in Jaipur.
- Feeling tired all the time - When your kidneys are functioning optimally, it can lead to the accumulation of toxins and other impurities in the body. This can make you feel weak and exhausted most of the time. But, that’s not it, Kidneys also, play a crucial role in the production of hormones that help our body to generate new red blood cells. If something is wrong with your kidneys, it is quite likely to affect the production of red blood cells, thereby restricting the supply of oxygen to the muscles and brain. This can also induce tiredness and problems related to concentration.
- Problems related to sleep - Increased buildup of toxins in the body due to the inability of the kidneys to filter the blood can make it difficult for you to fall/stay asleep at night. It has also been found that people with chronic kidney disease are at an increased risk of developing sleep apnea as compared to those with healthy kidneys. So, if you have been finding it difficult to fall asleep at night, chances are that something is wrong with your kidneys.
- Itchiness - When your kidneys are not able to remove harmful wastes and toxins from the blood, these can build up in the body and prevent the circulation of nutrients and oxygen. The skin is deprived of essential nutrients and starts to become dry and itchy. Some people may also develop unusual rashes and redness. If you have been experiencing an urge to scratch your body every now and then, you should definitely get yourself evaluated.
- Frequent urination - Experts from the best urology surgery hospital in Jaipur suggest that experiencing an increased urge to urinate, especially at night, could be an indication of kidney disease. This is most likely to happen when the filtering units of the kidneys, i.e. the nephrons get damaged. If you have to wake up frequently at night to use the washroom, chances are that something is wrong with your kidneys.
- Edema - Edema is a term used for swelling in the upper and lower limbs, i.e. the arms, hands, legs, ankles and feet, due to the build-up of fluids. This happens when your kidneys are not healthy enough to throw out excess sodium present in the blood. In some cases, one may also experience puffiness around the eyes. This happens when the kidneys are not able to hold back essential proteins and it leaks into the urine. This is known as proteinuria.
- Blood in urine - Traces of blood in the urine can be an indication of a serious renal disease or ailment. This means that the kidneys are removing healthy blood cells from the body. Bleeding can also be a sign of internal damage caused by conditions like cancer or kidney stones.
If you wish to know more about kidney diseases or want to get yourself assessed by an expert in the field, consult the best urologist in Jaipur today.