Risks of Sports Injury in Your Young Athletes
Being in the field for hours to fulfil your passion is a great thing to do, but this comes with certain risks as well. Sports injury, as the name suggests, refers to an injury that is sustained while taking part in a sport or exercising. Be it an adult, or a child, every person who spends hours in the field, is vulnerable to such kinds of injuries. It is due to this very reason that sports injury management in Jaipur, as well as other parts of the country, has become the need of the hour.
Schools, nowadays, lay a lot of emphasis on sports and extracurricular activities. As such, your little ones are likely to spend a lot of time in the field and this brings them at a higher risk of developing a sports injury. Best doctors in Jaipur suggest that children usually tend to be reckless on the field and this makes them even more vulnerable to various different types of sports injuries. You really cannot expect small children to understand and abide by the safety measures on their own. Being a parent, it is important to educate your young athletes about sports injuries and how they can bring down the risks of the same. There is no rocket science in this, just simple tips to alleviate the risks of sports injuries.
Don’t know how to start? In this blog, we have shed light on some simple tips that will help you to keep your young athlete in the field instead of the side-lines.
- Educate your little ones – It is very important to talk to your children about the importance of following proper safety measures in the field. You cannot be around to ensure their safety all the time, hence it is important to prepare them for any such situation mentally. Make sure that your little ones understand that they need to inform you if they are experiencing any kind of pain or discomfort. Not all kids are alike, while some may start crying after tripping down, others may act tough and push through the pain, without even letting you know about it. The later you get to know, the more the treatment gets delayed, as a result of which your child’s injury aggravates.
- Add preseason physical to the routine – Getting a preseason physical is the best way to assess your child’s fitness and determine if he/she is ready to get back on the field. This covers all the areas of concern for your little athletes and helps to point out any problem that needs to be addressed. You can consult experts from the leading sports medicine hospital in Jaipur for the same.
- Emphasize the importance of warm-ups – As adults, we know how important it is to warm up our body before getting started. This holds for small children as well. Sports injury treatment specialists suggest that children, just like adults, need to make it a habit to perform simple warmup exercises to loosen up their muscles and get in form. Just a little jumping and stretching, and your little champ is good to go.
- Make sure that your little one gets enough rest – Our body needs proper rest to recover from the daily wear and tear, however, children tend to be quite fussy about their sleeping habits. It is important to set a routine and make sure that their sleep cycle is balanced. A disturbed sleep cycle will make your child lethargic and he/she won’t be able to give his/her best on the field. This can also lead to inattentiveness, which naturally increases the likelihood of injuries in the field. As important as it is to get enough sleep, it is equally important to plan off seasons to give quality time to your little ones for physical and mental relaxation before the next season starts.
- Focus on healthy eating – A well balanced and nutritious diet is very important to strengthen your champ’s muscles and bones. Children usually tend to eat things that attract their eyes. You can experiment with healthy foods. These include green veggies, fresh fruits, healthy fats and nuts. Your child may even need to gain or lose weight depending upon the type of sport your child is playing. In case you are not able to device out a proper diet plan on your own, you can always consult a specialist from the best hospital in Jaipur.
- Help them understand the right technique – Following the wrong technique is one of the leading causes of sports injury. There is always a proper way of doing things and it is quite easy for us to understand these being adults. It is important to make your little ones aware of the importance of following the right technique.