What are the risk factors of Acid Reflux and how can it be prevented?
Acid Reflux is a gastric condition in which the acid present in the stomach goes back up to the esophagus causing heartburn and discomfort. Acid reflux is normal if the person has gastric issues occasionally but when this is caused frequently then it can be called GERD or Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. GERD is one of the most commonly caused gastric diseases that affect a huge population worldwide. According to various types of research, it is seen that about 60% of the people who are suffering from GERD are women.
The stomach consists of hydrochloric acid which is required in order to break down food and protect against pathogens such as bacteria that enter the stomach. The stomach has a special lining that protects it from concentrated hydrochloric acid. The esophagus is not protected like the stomach therefore when the acid moves backward to the esophagus its inner lining gets damaged. But in order to protect the esophagus, a ring of muscle known as the gastroesophageal sphincter acts as the valve that restricts the food to enter it.
What are the risk factors?
People of any age can get affected by Acid Reflux. It is seen that lifestyle is a prime factor that increases the risk of having acid reflux therefore one should make a few changes in the lifestyle and diet so that it can be prevented; some of the risk factors of getting acid reflux or GERD include:
- Inactive lifestyle
- Midnight Snacking
- Spicy food
- Smoking( both active and passive)
- Medications such as painkillers, sedatives, antidepressants, calcium channel blockers
Symptoms of Acid Reflux:
- Burning sensation after eating
- Regurgitation ( bitter taste in mouth and throat)
- Black stool
- Dry cough
- Sore throat
- Dysphagia( sensation of food being stuck in the throat)
Foods that increase acidity in the stomach include
- Spicy foods
- Eating large meals
- Carbonated drinks
- Acidic juices
- Fatty foods
- Sleeping soon after eating
Treatment for GERD or acid reflux :
The treatments usually include diet and Lifestyle changes. Just by making a few changes in the eating habits and by adopting a more active lifestyle one can prevent Acid Reflux and improve their condition within a few weeks. Here are some of the steps one can take in order to improve their condition:
- One should quit smoking as it already damages the inner lining of the esophagus that causes heartburn, pain, and discomfort due to acid reflux.
- One should start eating smaller meals instead of eating large meals at once.
- When should eat at least three hours before sleeping.
- One should try to keep themselves hydrated.
- One should drink coconut water, and juices and consume yogurt in order to maintain the pH of the stomach.
- Try to walk for a few minutes after eating.
- Do not wear tight clothes while eating
- Take medication for Acid Reflux such as antacids, milk of magnesium, etc if the condition is worse then one should consult an expert Gastroenterologist.
Eternal Hospital is one of the best hospitals in Jaipur. The Hospital is backed up with advanced equipment and has an in-house diagnostic center in order to provide faster and more accurate treatment for which it is famous as the best gastroenterologist hospital in Jaipur. We have an expert team of doctors, surgeons, gastroenterologists, and healthcare professionals who have years of experience in treating critical gastric diseases. If you have any gastric-related issues contact Eternal Hospital for expert assistance and care.