How is a Leaky Heart Valve Treated?
If you or your loved ones are being diagnosed with a leaky heart valve, you might wonder what that really means! A leaking heart valve allows blood to flow in both directions when it should only flow in one. This occurs when something goes wrong with the flaps, or leaflets, that control the flow and direction of blood in the heart. This may cause unnecessary stress on your heart. As per the heart doctors in Jaipur, the leaky heart valve should be repaired or replaced to prevent further damage to your heart. Here we’ve discussed how you can treat such conditions and more.
What causes a leaky valve?
A leaking heart valve allows blood to flow in both directions when it should only flow in one. This occurs when something goes wrong with the flaps, or leaflets, that control the flow and direction of blood in the valve.
What are the symptoms associated with a leaky heart valve?
A mild case of heart valve leakage usually produces no symptoms. However, a leaking valve can cause some symptoms that tend to worsen over time. Consult your physician if you experience any of the following signs:
- Feeling dizzy or faint.
- A quick or fluttering heartbeat
- Chest discomfort or pressure
- Breathing difficulty (dyspnea).
- Ankles or feet that are swollen.
- Unusual tiredness/fatigue.
Treatment options available for leaky heart valve:
When it comes to the treatment options for leaky heart valves, you might wonder if it could be possible for the heart to heal itself. Unfortunately, the answer is no.
However, in very few cases, infants born with heart murmurs will eventually grow out of them as the heart matures.
There are various types of heart valve surgery available to repair or replace a leaky valve.
As suggested by our expert practicing heart valve repair surgery in Jaipur, the procedures include:
- An annuloplasty, which is a ring used to tighten or reinforce the leaky valve, is frequently used in valve repair.
- Procedures for attaching a clip to a valve.
- Surgery to replace the leaking valve with a carbon and metal device
- Replacement of the valve with one donated by a deceased human or animal.
Your healthcare team will help you choose the best possible treatment for you. If you have any questions related to the surgery, you can ask your doctor.
What can you expect after heart valve surgery?
Once your heart valve has been repaired, you may need to follow a special diet. If not, simply consume plenty of "heart healthy" foods such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
Exercise is essential for reviving your heart, but you must gradually increase your activity level and pace.
Most people take several months to recover from heart valve surgery. If you do not require open heart surgery, the time frame may be reduced.
How can you keep your heart valves healthy?
A leaky heart valve can damage your heart in the long run. However, taking care of your overall heart health might help you keep those valves healthy. A few adjustments and modifications in your daily lifestyle can help a lot.
- Avoid drinking, smoking, and using illegal drugs.
- Consume a well-balanced, nutritious diet that is low in salt and fat.
- Start slowly and always warm up and cool down before exercising.
- Keep a healthy weight.
- Get plenty of rest and lower your stress levels.
- Follow your treatment plan exactly, including having all tests ordered and taking all medications as directed.
If you wish to know more about keeping your heart valve healthy and want to explore the treatment options for a leaky or stenosed heart valve, consult our experts practicing heart failure treatment in Jaipur for unparalleled guidance. Do not ignore such symptoms and seek proper care to avoid the risk of unnecessary complications.