Habits that can make your Arthritis worse
More than 350 million people across the globe are living with arthritis, a progressive condition marked by the gradual degeneration of joints in different parts of the body. With several different types like rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and juvenile arthritis, it is one of the leading causes of pain and disability in the world. In fact, a lot of people suffering from it complain of regular pain and discomfort, which keeps on aggravating with time. Arthritis can also limit the flexibility and range of motion of the affected joints, thereby preventing the person from indulging in normal day-to-day activities. Unfortunately, arthritis cannot be cured, but that doesn't mean that you have to bear with the pain and other complications.
A lot of treatment options are available for the effective management of the symptoms associated with arthritis. Apart from these, it is also important to understand that our regular lifestyle choices and habits can contribute to making it worse. The best you can do is learn about such habits and eliminate them from your lifestyle. We have mentioned some of these, in this blog, with the help of the experts specialising in hip surgery in Jaipur.
Habits that you need to get rid of
- Ignoring the pain - We often overlook pain thinking that it will go away on its own. Many times, we also push through it, not realizing how it is going to affect us in the long run. Joint pain is a symptom that should never be ignored. This could be an indication that your arthritis is aggravating. If the pain is mild, take the prescribed medication and use heat therapy. You can also try topical ointments and massage the painful area. If the pain is moderate to severe, consult an expert and go for a proper evaluation.
- Eating without thinking - Whether you believe it or not, there are a lot of foods out there that can make your arthritis worse. This is not only because they contribute to weight gain, but also because they have inflammatory properties that can promote inflammation and further damage the joints. It is due to this very reason that experts specializing in Orthopaedics Surgery in India recommend their patients to limit the consumption of foods like sweets, fatty foods, dairy products, carbs and gluten.
- Sedentary lifestyle - Sitting in one place for hours may seem to be a good option for relieving arthritis pain, especially in the lower extremities. However, this is just a misconception. A sedentary lifestyle will only add to the problem and make increase joint stiffness. It will also contribute to weight gain, which again can make your arthritis worse.
- Putting on extra weight - People often misunderstand body positivity and start glorifying obesity. It's high time we start speaking about the negative impact of the same on our health. Every pound of weight that you gain puts an additional strain on your joints, leading to increased wear out. This contributes towards worsening your arthritis. When your body weight is optimal, your joints are not overloaded. This slows down the process of regular wear out which can otherwise speed up joint degeneration.
- Skipping exercise and Physical activities - Staying physically active can benefit your joints in so many ways, yet many people choose to watch television or scroll the internet rather than going out for a walk or joining the gym. You just need to dedicate a couple of minutes, every day, to exercise. This helps to strengthen the muscles around the joints, making it possible for them to offer better support to your joints.
If you want to know more about arthritis and the habits that can make it worse, consult the best Orthopaedics Surgeons in Jaipur.